Compulsory Purchase Order
The South Tees Development Corporation (Land at the Former Redcar Steel Works, Redcar) Compulsory Purchase Order 2019
On the 10th April 2019 South Tees Development Corporation made The South Tees Development Corporation (Land at the former Redcar Steel Works, Redcar) Compulsory Purchase Order 2019 (“the Order”).
The land the subject of the Order is described in the Order and shown shaded and hatched pink and shaded and hatched blue on the maps referred to in the Order (“the Order Land”). It lies within the STDC Area (click here for STDC area map) and is made up of approximately 1,752 acres of land comprising the former Redcar Steel Works, Redcar, which is bounded by a private access road known as Breakwater South Gare to the north, the Trunk Road (A1085) to the east, Tees Dock Road and South Bank to the south and the River Tees and the port to the west.
The acquisition of the Order Land will enable the Corporation to deliver on the aspirations of the South Tees Regeneration Master Plan, an opportunity to redevelop some 2,300 acres of former industrial land to create a world class employment-generating zone bringing economic growth and prosperity to the Tees Valley.
Objections to the Order must be made in writing to the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government at the Planning Casework Unit, 5 St Philips Place, Colmore Row, Birmingham B3 2PW before 10 May 2019 and should state the title of the Order, the grounds of objection and the objector’s address and interests in the land.
Notwithstanding the making of the Order, the Corporation will continue to endeavour to acquire all interests in the Order Land by agreement. Where discussions are already ongoing, they will continue. Any persons with an interest in the land who wishes to commence discussions with the Corporation for the disposal of their land should contact Neil Thomas at the Corporation by post to Teesside Management Offices, Redcar TS10 5QW, by telephone on 01642 408000 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Persons requiring further information regarding the Order should contact Sue Houston at the Corporation by post to Teesside Management Offices, Redcar TS10 5QW, by telephone on 01642 408000 or by email to CPO@southteesdc.com
A copy of the Order and the maps referred to in the Order, together with a copy of the Statement of Reasons for the Order, can be viewed at the following locations:
• Grangetown Library, 171 Birchington Ave, Middlesbrough TS6 7LP
• Redcar Library, Redcar & Cleveland House, Kirkleatham Street, Redcar TS10 1RT
• South Bank Library, South Bank Library, Low Grange Health Village, Normanby Road, South Bank, Middlesbrough, TS6 6TD
Or by selecting any of the links below:
Statement of Reasons
Documents referred to in the Statement of Reasons:
• Report to STDC Board (July 2018)
• Resolution of STDC Board (July 2018)
• Report to TVCA Cabinet (March 2019)
• Resolution of TVCA Cabinet (March 2019)
• Extracts from the Localism Act 2011
• Extracts from the Acquisition of Land Act 1981
• The South Tees Development Corporation (Establishment) Order 2017 (SI 2017/718)
• Extracts from National Planning Policy Framework (February 2019)
• Extracts from Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council Local Plan (May 2018)
• South Tees Area Supplementary Planning Guidance (May 2018)
• Extracts from the Guidance on Compulsory purchase process and The Crichel Down Rules (February 2018)
• South Tees Master Plan